Wednesday 25 September 2019

Bright Star returns !!!

Well I have been in no mans land for a while . I have been horrified by the ghastly politics and revolting hatred that has been prevailing in my country and elsewhere in our world. I felt I could not think about the things I loved. I felt paralyzed and totally depressed by the realization of my worst fears.
The rise of the right and xenophobia are a creeping poison I cannot ignore.To quote Wordsworth "Mans inhumanity to man"
 The ideals that make life worth living have been disappearing before my eyes. What did it matter what I  liked or loved when there was so much that I had no control over.The lessons from the past were being ignored and a new ignorance and arrogance was taking its place.


Losing myself in literature,art and creative hobbies just seemed  a self indulgent irrelevance in the face of corruption and ecological disaster. However I have to stop sinking into  this sort of horrified depression, it does not help me or anyone else . I will return to my blog and stop being so afraid. Today I would like to think about the message of Autumn.It has always been very special to me,the wonderful colours ,the sense of closing in and peace.The first fires in the wood stove, candles in the evening!
 and thinking of making a years supply of highly alcoholic marmalade !These are small joys I love.




The smell of mushrooms and making a delicious autumn omelette with them,all these  things cannot be cast away forgotten while we work through some of the most heinous of political times in my memory. Autumn is a time for thought and contemplation,casting aside the dead things,resting and hoping to survive winter and onward into a glorious spring. Whatever happens we must search for a humane way to deal with the problems we face but I must remember to feed my soul or I will loose myself in despair.It is our duty to vote for the best possible outcome for the most people and it is our duty to seek out the truth and not believe the liars and crooks who seem to be in control.
 Bright Star is named for John Keats, his life was far from easy and whose legacy is in his wonderful poetry,nobody can evoke Autumn like Keats.His life was cruelly short and bedeviled by disease and yet we have this from him.
To Autumn

I do not think anyone can touch this for an  evocation of of this season although there are many other worthy poems on the subject. I will leave you with that and I hope I can get back the enthusiasm I had in the early days of my blog.I started it as a sort of online diary to share. Speaking of diaries I have been reading Dorothy Wordsworth's Grasmere Journals and have been touched by her beautiful prose and everyday observations yet again.She had the French Revolution to cope with and Wordsworth's socks to darn not to mention dealing with the opium stoked Coleridge's problems so maybe I can enjoy writing the blog in spite of Boris Johnson and his ilk, if she can do it so can I.


No comments:

Post a Comment